1. Describe an important professional negotiation that you expect to undertake in the next ten years. In your description, describe the key issues, what is at stake, and what you think will be most challenging for you in this situation.
Be specific in your answer.
In the situation you just described, imagine that you will be negotiating across the table with a competent, fully prepared counterpart. You have never met this person before, but for the purpose of this question, you should understand that he or she is:
· solely and steadfastly intent on maximizing his or her own well-being, and
· unconcerned about how you do in this negotiation, other than to whatever extent (if any) your performance affects the outcome.
Moreover, this person somehow came across a copy of all of your preparation materials. He or she fully understands what its various elements reveal and, further, is able to piece together an accurate picture of how you negotiate.
2. How would they describe you as a negotiator? What specific evidence in your preparation file would they point to in support of this assessment?
3. Given their assessment of you and their single-minded self-interest, what strategy and tactics should they employ in dealing with you to maximize their own wellbeing? Explain your answer.
4. Now, return to your side of the table. Given the fact that your counterpart is playing the strongest game against you, what techniques and practices have you learned in the course that might help you make the best of the situation?