If you decided not to show up for work or school tomorrow, how many people would have difficulty performing their jobs because of your absence? Answer:centrality.
Centrality refers to the power holder’s importance based on the degree andnature of interdependence with others.
Many professionals display their educational diplomas and awards on office walls to remindvisitors of their expertise. This is an example of visibility.
- Employees also gain visibility by being, quite literally, visible.
- Some people strategically locate themselves in more visible work areas, such as thoseclosest to the boss or where other employees frequently pass by.
- People often use public symbols as subtle (and not-so-subtle) cues to make their powersources known to others.
- Many professionals display their educational diplomas and awards on office walls to remind visitors of their expertise.
- Medical professionals wear white coats with stethoscopes around their necksto symbolize their legitimate and expert power in hospital settings.
Scenario BA new employee in the finance department of the Hogan Company prominently displaysdiplomas and past awards indicating his financial expertise.What contingency of power is this person trying to increase? :visibility
- Those who control valued resources or knowledge will wield power only when others are aware of these sources of power.
- People often use public symbols as cues to make their power sources known to others.
- Many professionals display their educationaldiplomas and awards on office walls to remind visitors of their expertise
Which of the following is a consequence of power? Increasing power over others can potentially undermine an individual’seffectiveness and interpersonal relations.
- Increasing power over others can potentially undermine an individual’seffectiveness and interpersonal relations.
- People who have (or believe they have) power over others are more likely to cling to stereotypes, have difficulty empathizing.