QUALITY CONTROL TECHNIQUES AND PRACTICES
Weekly Learning Outcomes
This week students will
- Understand the importance of data in respect to quality control for an organization.
- Recommend appropriate quality control techniques and methodologies.
- Evaluate quality control data to determine the health of the organization.
- Create a quality control plan.
This week you will learn about quality control techniques and practices. In your discussion forum, you will learn about quality control techniques while acting as a quality control manager. In your assignment, you will use the skills and knowledge you have learned throughout the course to examine the relationship between data analytics and quality control.
Quality Control Role Play Activity [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 3]. 1st Post Due by Day 3. Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 22 of your textbook. Imagine that you oversee quality control for a production line in a candy company. The production line is responsible for filling 12 ounces of candy in packages labeled with weight of 12 oz. Package weights need to be in compliance with the Federal Trade Commission and the Food and Drug Administration regulations. Underweight packaging can cause issues with these regulatory groups and may also cause customer complaints. Overweight packages will reduce the profits and result in inaccurate costs for each package.
As a quality control manager, you are to maintain the mean weight of 12 ounces as labeled on the candy packages. You are tasked with defining a quality control technique to achieve this goal. Explain why you believe that this quality control technique will help the company achieve its quality control goal.
In your post,
• Based on your research, identify the acceptable weight range tolerance for the candy packages
(i.e., plus or minus 1 ounce). Support your decision with credible sources.
• Explain in detail the quality control process you recommend.
• Explain why the process will be acceptable by government regulators.
• Explain how your technique would reject the out of limit packages.
Week 5 Reflective Journal [WLO: 1] [CLOs: 1, 3, 4]. Due by Day 7. Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapters 9 and 10 in Superforecasting. The intent of the journal is to apply what you have learned to how data analytics is applied in industry. After reading the assigned chapters of Superforecasting this week, write a reflective journal of the three most important take-aways contained in the chapters. Your journal should be between two to three pages excluding cover and reference page.
. Analyzing Quality Data [WLOs: 3, 4] [CLOs: 3, 4, 5, 6]. Due by Day 7. Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review Chapter 22 of the textbook. Imagine that you have been hired as a quality control data analyst. The company you have been hired for has experienced a decline in their sales numbers. The CEO speculates that there may be some areas for improvement in their quality control practices. You have a strong background in data analytics, but you know little about quality control practices. As a data analyst, you need to determine some key data points that will assist you in identifying any problem areas in the quality control process.
In your paper,
• Identify data that you believe would be useful in assessing for quality control.
• Discuss your strategy for identifying key data points, including the type of data you gather and
where you will look to find this data.
Determine the best way to present this data, considering data visualization tools we examined in
• Summarize how you would go about creating a quality control proposal for this company. What
are some of the key points you would consider for quality control?
The Analyzing Quality Data paper